Over the last few weeks I’ve eaten a lot of carbs, I love them, but as my friend Jenna once said to me: ‘fat doesn’t make you fat babe, carbs do’. This is actually very true, so wherever possible I try to avoid them in the evenings, in some sort of half-arsed attempt to be ‘good’.
I found this 28 day aged fillet, heavily reduced in the supermarket and pounced on what I thought was one large steak, but turned out to be two. I ate both (obvs) raiding the fridge for odds and ends to pull together an accompaniment, and this is what I came up with. You can use whatever you have lying around/need to use up. I’ve not listed quantities as it can be sized up or down.
- Cooked a sliced onion in some butter until it was sweated,
- Turn up the heat and add a tub of cubed pancetta to the other side of the pan. away from the onions (make sure you stir them to prevent catching), until the cubes are golden.
- Meanwhile cook your steak. It’s almost impossible to advise on the cooking due to differing thickness and types of steak, but to achieve the above, I griddled on each side for three minutes and it came out as above. Then I left it to rest under some tin foil until the veg were cooked.
- Add in some green or savoy cabbage and combine with the pancetta, it’s fatty juices and the onions and then cook for 2-3 minutes until the greens are cooked.
- Add a glug of cream or a dollop of creme fraiche and some seasoning, tossing together to combine.
*If you use a griddle remember to oil the meat not the pan, it cuts down on smoking.
What’s your favourite way to eat steak? Please do tweet me or comment below with your suggestions/recipes/links, I’m always looking for inspiration!
Follow me: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Bloglovin | YouTube